Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bryce Larkin, Back in Action

Even though the Big 4 (ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox (the CW is kind of there too, but not really--the Big 4 1/2? Oh, CW... you try real hard, don't you...)) get the most attention come pilot season, cable can't be counted out. Yes, even basic cable. With my love of Burn Notice and Psych (and to a lesser extent, In Plain Sight) in mind, I'm more than a little intrigued by USA Network's latest project. Add my love of USA Network to my love for NBC's Chuck, and I think we might just have a winner on our hands.

USA's newest show (set to premiere this fall-ish) stars Chuck alum Matthew Bomer (aka Bryce Larkin). It would appear that Bryce was killed off for real this time in the season 2 finale, so his schedule should be wide open to headline a new show. I've always rather enjoyed Matthew Bomer (on several levels) and I'm really glad to see he'll be back on TV in yet another action/comedy series.

All that's come out so far is a short promo:



My Take: Well, it's a concept we've seen before, but I have to admit, it's one I haven't seen for a while (particularly on TV). The whole Catch Me If You Can, cops and criminals working together conceit has been done, to be sure, but I still think this show has a lot of potential. As mentioned, it has a lot going for it at the baseline. USA Network has a pretty impressive track record with lighter procedural shows, and handled in the right way, I think White Collar could be a hell of a lot of fun. It doesn't appear to take itself too seriously (which is good), and if anyone can pull off that rakish rogue bravado, I think it's Bomer. As I mentioned, this is the kind of dynamic that's been done a few times before, but with good reason. I've always rather enjoyed the "that's how I would do it" approach to solving crimes and who better to fill in those blanks than a criminal? This arrangement generally makes for interesting interpersonal relationships as well. Neither party really knows if he or she can trust the other, so even when the working relationship appears to be at its best, there's always doubt. It makes for a more clouded, insecure dynamic, and that can make for a nice roller-coaster of motives, agendas, and allegiances. Count me in.

Bottom Line? In spite of Tiffani Thiessen and the Saved By The Bell/90210-vertones that she brings to the table, I think this could be a lot of fun and not a lot of commitment. It doesn't strike me as the kind of show that you simply can't miss an episode or you'll be lost for the season and a half, which is nice sometimes. Don't get me wrong, I love the high commitment shows as well, but it's also nice to have something a little lighter and more playful on the docket. I'll definitely be giving this one a chance and hope it lives up to expectations.

1 comment:

Annie said...

This show is kind of Castle-esque, and I'm loving that. Matt Bomer is attractive, so you know I'll be tuning in, and automatically it gets kicked up a notch or two in my book (and I haven't even seen it...). I am a little worried about the Tiffany Thiessen aspect, but hopefully she's grown out of her crush on Zac and can play an adult who *isn't* on an after-school special. (I did love the 90210-vertones...took me a second...but I got it.)