Friday, October 9, 2009

TV Predictions: Who will get picked up?

It's barely October and the axe has already claimed a few victims. With ratings slipping for various shows across the board, I anticipate the bloodbath to only get bloodier. In better news, some shows that I truly adore have already received the back nine and others are holding strong. Below are the official pick-ups and drops so far and my predictions for the fates of other shows.

ALREADY AXED (OFFICIALLY)
  • The Cleaner
    (I've only ever seen about half an episode of this show so clearly it never really grabbed me. I don't know why it's been cancelled exactly (I assume ratings, but who knows), but I don't think it'll be missed.

  • The Beautiful Life
    Alas, poor Mischa... we hardly knew (or cared about) you. This ill-conceived mess of a show was pretty god awful from minute one, so I'm a little surprised it didn't fit right in at the CW. (Oooh, snap!) Seriously, given the other dreck on the network (One Tree Hill, I'm looking in your direction), I figured this train wreck would have garnered similar numbers. It did not. You know you're in trouble when your ratings are so bad the CW won't have you. Ouch.

  • Southland
    This comes as quite a surprise, I must say. And a rather unwelcomed surprise at that. Even before the second season had a chance to premiere (it was slated to premiere on 10/23), the brilliant minds at NBC gave it the axe. I wasn't that dazzled with the show, but it ended strong and I was hoping to give it a second chance. I'm hearing that NBC simply didn't think it could work at an earlier time slot (what with the craptacularity that is The Jay Leno Show taking up the latest spot on the schedule every night), so they decided not to even give it a chance. It was apparently "too edgy" or something. Word is, there are six episodes that have already been produced, so who knows what will happen to those. The show is being shopped around to other networks, but I'm pretty doubtful it will find a home. The other big networks have pretty full plates at the moment, so I'm thinking basic cable will be the show's best bet. One critic mentioned that it might find a good fit on TNT and I'm inclined to agree. With Saving Grace coming to an end, I'm hopeful the slot gets filled by Southland. At the end of the day, the show probably would have failed eventually, but to pick-up the show only to cancel it two weeks before the premiere is pretty damn low, even for NBC.

  • Saving Grace
    Speaking of Saving Grace, it has been cancelled as well. I know very little about the show and have never seen a single episode, so my commentary on this one is pretty useless (as you can clearly tell).

ALREADY PICKED-UP (OFFICIALLY)

  • Glee
    Fox finally did something right! This is a quirky, dark, musical dramedy that should have had a hard time finding a solid audience, but rolling out the pilot several months before the show would actually begin airing was a smart move. Those months gave time for word-of-mouth to promote the show and also allowed for plenty of time for people to catch the pilot. Not every episode has been perfect, but I think the show has really hit its stride and I'm thrilled it already has a back nine order.

  • My Boys
    This show rests somewhere at the bottom of my third tier. It's not one I'm at all excited about, but it generally airs during times of the year when there's little else on, so I keep up with it to an extent. It's a mediocre show that has brief and sparse moments of funny. Anyway, it's been granted another season, so if you're just dying to, um, find out, uh, whatever... I can't remember what the hell was going on with the show at the end of last season, but I don't really care (channeling voice of a certain board member for that last bit).

  • Californication
    I finally have Showtime, but I kinda, sorta missed the first several seasons... At any rate, it's been granted another season.

  • Nurse Jackie
    Yay! This show is one of the primary reasons I finally ordered Showtime. It's excellent and was granted another season after only a couple of episodes had aired. It's well deserving of many more seasons to come and I simply can't wait. That season one finale was insane and I'm eager to see how it all plays out.

  • Top Chef
    ...will be around for many more seasons to come. This season has been pretty good so far, I must say. MUCH better than last season. My picks for the final four? The Volts, Jennifer, and Kevin. And in a weird twist of fate, I think I'd be fine with any one of those four taking home the prize.

  • Flashpoint
    Well, if this isn't the little known show that keeps on ticking. I can't remember the details, but I want to say another 13 episode order came through for this one. Yeehaw...

  • Bored to Death
    Never seen it, but I hear it's pretty decent. Apparently the network brass agrees because it's been given the green light.

  • The Good Wife
    Never did I dream that this show would jump into my top tier, but here we are. When I first saw the promotional materials, I thought the show had promise, and now that I've seen the first few episodes, I'm very pleased that it well exceeded my already high expectations. I may be a bit biased, what with my love of legal dramas, but this show is consistent, well-written, and each episode just seems to fly by. Hats off to CBS for the pick-up. It's ratings have been excellent since day one and have been nearly identical week to week. Awesome.

  • NCIS: Los Angeles
    Yeah... don't care... But, it's been granted the back nine, so, uh... good for them...

  • Modern Family
    This show is well-written and entertaining, but I'm just not sure how it's going to fare as a series. I'm enjoying it, don't get me wrong, but the set-up doesn't really lend itself to longer story arcs, so it's hard to be giddy with anticipation. I'm hoping it finds a way to get me eager week to week, but for now, I'm just enjoying it on an encapsulated basis. The back nine were ordered, so apparently I'm not the only one.

  • Cougar Town and The Middle
    Well, Cougar Town wasn't as bad as expected, but it still didn't warrant a spot on my schedule. The ratings are solid though and ABC gave the go-ahead for a full season. I never saw The Middle and never hope to. I hate Patricia Heaton. A lot. But somehow people still watched the show and it also got a green light.

MY PREDICTIONS
Below are my thoughts, predictions, and assumptions regarding the other shows that are out there. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again, but I follow the ratings and trends to an embarrassing extent and have a pretty good track record over all. Also, I'm not including obvious pick-ups of returning shows (like The Mentalist, CSI, NCIS, or The Office) because they're, well, obvious. And with that, here we go.

SHOWS THAT WILL BE PICKED UP (METHINKS)

  • Castle
    This actually isn't solely wishful thinking. That's right, I have actual evidence and rationale to back this up! ABC has had a hell of a time filling the slot just behind Dancing with the Stars and has seen show after show crumble. While Castle's numbers aren't through the roof, it has held its own in this time slot better than past contenders and has consistently good numbers week to week. No official word has come down yet, but I expect a back nine order soon.

  • The Vampire Diaries
    ...is a lock for a full season pick-up. For CW standards, its ratings are superb and with aging shows like Smallville and One Tree Hill hanging in there well past their expiration dates, The Vampire Diaries will surely get the back nine and will certainly be around for next season as well. I'm actually pretty surprised that official word hasn't come yet. I finally got caught up on the show and must say that it's gotten a lot better. It's not a first tier show by any means, but it's holding my interest pretty well.

SHOWS THAT HAVE A GOOD CHANCE OF BEING PICKED UP

  • FlashForward
    The numbers are good, but have been slipping a bit week-to-week and if the show is going to stick around, they'll need to settle soon. The show is only 3 episodes, but I'm enjoying it. It has its failings, but I can't help but be sucked in. Even my brother accidentally got sucked in when he sat down to watch a bit of the show and ended up watching all three episodes. It's a huge investment for ABC and given the nature of the show's concept, I really think they'll give it a full season. If the numbers don't settle, we may have another story on our hands, but I think they will.

  • Melrose Place
    I kinda think the reason the CW is delaying the official pick-up of The Vampire Diaries is that they're waiting to see if Melrose Place is really a viable show. Its ratings have been decent, for CW standards, but they could be a lot better. The network is hoping that a Heather Locklear appearance will boost ratings, but I really doubt any of the teens who are watching the show care one bit about Locklear. I think the show will ultimately make the cut, but only because the CW has very low standards.

SHOWS THAT COULD REALLY GO EITHER WAY

  • Accidentally on Purpose
    It's a crappy show, but the ratings are okay-ish, and half-hour comedies are cheap to produce. I think it'll get the go-ahead for a full season, but unless things pick up, I doubt it'll get another season.

  • Community
    ...has been moved to one of the most competitive timeslots available and is suffering for it. This show is now opposite Bones, The Vampire Diaries, FlashForward, and Survivor. I, like many others, I suspect, ultimately opted to watch it online. The ratings are still pretty okay, but if it continues to slide, it could really be in trouble. NBC is generally pretty patient with its half-hour comedies and is generally pretty forgiving (what with them having a whole lot of nothing else), so I think they'll give Community the benefit of the doubt. I certainly hope so. I'm really enjoying the show and I think I like it even better than Modern Family (which I adore)... The pacing is better and the overall concept seems to have a lot more going for it. Fingers crossed!

  • Mercy
    It pains me to put this show in a category that doesn't mean it will certainly get the axe, but what can I say? NBC is a pathetic shell of its former self and is in serious need of programming. The ratings are decent for Mercy, but it doesn't perform well in the demos at all. That makes for a bit of a conundrum. I caught the most recent episode and it does seem to have gotten a bit better, but that's kind of like saying the arsenic is now 10% less fatal. With the fate of Parenthood still up in the air (although I just heard that Lauren Graham has joined the cast (taking Maura Tierney's vacated role)--wahoo!), I think NBC might just give Mercy a full season order.

  • Lie to Me
    I was tempted to put this show in the "good chance of a pick-up" section, but I'm just not that certain. Its numbers are consistent, but not through the roof. The new showrunner this season has certainly improved things and has made the show much more watchable and much less annoying. I'm hopeful Fox takes a chance and gives the show a back nine pick-up because if it keeps improving, it might just be a real contender.

SHOWS THAT WON'T BE PICKED UP (METHINKS)

  • Trauma
    This show started off with a whimper when it premiered and fell pretty steeply in its second week. NBC doesn't have a lot going for it, but between its two new medical dramas, I think they'll keep Mercy and drop Trauma. Neither is deserving of a pick-up, but NBC is just that pathetic. It makes the Southland cancellation all the more irksome...

  • Eastwick
    Quite frankly, ABC has much much better (and more successful) shows on its docket and Eastwick's sinking ratings just won't make the cut. Fortunately, the show isn't very good, so it likely won't be missed (even by the 14 people who tune in every week). It would take some real magic to earn this show a pick-up.

  • Hank
    Of ABC's four new comedies to premiere, it's the only one to NOT get an official pick-up already. It's a terrible show with terrible ratings and the only way it stands a chance is if ABC needs another half-hour show to fill in a blank 30 minutes on the schedule (which could happen). If it does get picked up, it will be by default, not by choice.

  • The Forgotten
    I actually hear that the next episode is supposed to be pretty good, but I lost interest in this mess about 20 minutes into the pilot and I don't see that changing. The ratings aren't very good and this show never really seemed to fit in with ABC's other shows, so I'm doubtful it will survive. If the ratings settle, it might have a chance, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

  • Three Rivers
    Only the pilot has aired, but the numbers were not good. CBS has very high ratings standards (it's the anti-CW, really) and while on another network the premiere numbers would have been pretty good, for CBS, they were no where near high enough. Odds are the show will lose a fair amount in the coming weeks and I just don't think it will survive. It's a not a good show in the first place, so I'm guessing CBS will cut its losses.

  • Heroes
    How did Heroes make it onto my list, you ask? Well, the show didn't deserve a pick-up at the end of last season, and its numbers this year are even worse. A LOT worse. This year's premiere was down something crazy (like 46%) from last year's premiere. Ouch. To boot, its ratings week to week are slipping by sizable numbers. This show needs to be let go and while I'm confident NBC will let it finish out the season, they'd be crazy to pick it up again next year.

  • Dollhouse
    ...is a surefire goner, folks. The ratings are absolutely terrible and I just don't see any way to save the show. I don't know how many episodes have been produced, but I doubt they will all air. I even doubt they'll produce the full 13 at this point. Things are not looking good... Yikes.

No comments: