Thursday, July 28, 2011

CBS Pilots 2011: Volume 2 (comedies)

Finally, we're in the home stretch, people. Two more pilots to discuss. I think we can all agree that it's about damn time.

Last up, CBS comedies. In general, CBS does very very well with their comedy ventures. Hell, the shows they cancel get better ratings than the shows NBC keeps. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean their comedies are fantabulous by any stretch. How I Met Your Mother had some good times, but their best is far behind them. The Big Bang Theory is okay in very small doses, but beyond that, it gets pretty old pretty fast. All the others are just painful, with Two and a Half Men taking the top spot among the awfulest of the awful. Which of course means that it had the highest ratings in town. Ugh. Hopefully Charlie's meltdown will take the show down as well.

To the heap of mediocrity and pain, CBS add two more ventures for the fall:

2 BROKE GIRLS

Description: Stars Kat Dennings (Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist), newcomer Beth Behrs, Matthew Moy (Scrubs), Garrett Morris (Saturday Night Live) and Jonathan Kite. Co-written by Michael Patrick King (Sex and the City) and comedienne Whitney Cummings.



First Impressions: Meh. The odd couple set-up, especially the social class odd couple is pretty standard and I've seen it all before. That said, it's a set-up that can work, though I'm not so sure that's the case here. This show seems hell-bent on incorporating as many pop culture references as it can rather than creating situations that are truly funny. Topical pop culture references have their place and can elicit a cheap laugh (the only line I thought was funny here was the crack about Paris Hilton), but all it really means is that the show won't age well. I don't know, these two actresses seem charming enough and maybe after some time the show will find its own unique voice, but from what I've seen so far, I'm unimpressed. CBS comedies are usually a miss for me and this one looks to be no exception. From what I've seen of viewer comments so far, most people will be tuning in to see Kat Dennings' rack, not the show. I'm not network exec, but that doesn't sound like a good sign. At least something is drawing viewers?


HOW TO BE A GENTLEMAN

Description: Stars David Hornsby (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia), Kevin Dillon (Entourage), and Dave Foley. David Hornsby (“It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia”), Adam Chase (“Friends”), Ted Schachter (“The Invention of Lying”), Joe Hipps and Modi Wiczyk are executive producers for CBS Television Studios.



First Impressions: Was that... Murray? From Flight of the Conchords?! Well, this appears to be quite a step down. This is basically the same show as 2 Broke Girls, but with men. It's as though the same basic themes were presented to CBS and they decided to come out with his and hers versions. Um, yay? I'm feeling as lukewarm about this one as I was the other one, if not less optimistic. CBS skews slightly toward a more male audience and this show is pretty clearly geared at the guys' guys out there. I don't think I even cracked a smile while watching that trailer and Kevin Dillon is universally unappealing. It's not the worst concept I've ever heard, but the execution looks pretty poor so far. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is quite a pedigree to come from, however, so maybe the trailer simply isn't doing the show justice. I kinda doubt it though. As with so much of CBS's slate, I think I'll pass.

No comments: