Thursday, August 13, 2009

Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence


Whilst riding the bus home yesterday, I decided to compile of list of my top ten episodes of The Simpsons. The kiddies at work and I have occasionally dallied with such a task in the past, and having decided it was impossible, quickly dropped the idea. Well, having very little life and even fewer new pilots to rely on for the next few weeks, I figured it was now or never.

When embarking on this most mindboggling of tasks, I actually found that coming up with the first six or seven was actually very easy. The all-time awesomest, seminal episodes came to mind with very little effort. Filling in the remainders was the tough part. I knew I was in for a real headache when classic episodes like Lisa the Beauty Queen and Radioactive Man were not making the cut. From about season 3 through about season 8, pretty much every single episode was top notch and picking just ten proved just as difficult as I had feared. Seriously, I could choose an all-time top ten list just from season 7 that I would be comfortable with. Truly, one of the best, if not the best season ever (as you'll see from the percentage of my top ten that comes from that most blessed of seasons).

My love affair with The Simpsons began to truly wane during the 9th and 10th seasons and by the middle of the 11th, I knew it was time to break up. I kept up appearances through the 11th and caught episodes here and there of the 12th (and maybe even a couple from the 13th), but I can actually remember the exact episode where I knew I was basically done. Season 11, episode 7, entitled Eight Misbehavin' was the tipping point. That's the ill-fated episode where Apu and Manjula have octuplets. Not good, peeps. Not good. Although, by standards of later seasons, I'm sure it's a masterpiece. It's hard to imagine that they have produced roughly 500 episodes since that fateful episode where I lost my faith. The point of this story is that I haven't seen a great number of episodes and think of the newer episodes as some sort of derivative, ersatz dreck that can't even be mentioned in the same breath as the older episodes of which I'm eternally fond. If there's some spectacular episode that has aired in the past decade, it won't be appearing on my list because I won't have seen it. I count the possibility of that happening to be basically nil, so I don't think it would have skewed my results in the long run.

Anyway, here we go. Oh, and this list is in no particular order. It was hard enough to narrow down the list to ten, let along ranking those ten.

BART SELLS HIS SOUL
Season 7, Episode 4



When I first decided to do this, this is the episode that immediately sprang to mind (and to the mind of my twin Beckee, so I must have been on the right track). Not only does this episode start of with a rendition of "In the Garden of Eden" by I. Ron. Butterfly during church, but it's pretty much the perfect episode every minute thereafter. I think what propels this episode into most fans' top ten lists is that it seamlessly intertwines so many different aspects of philosophy, religion, pop culture, and family into an insanely funny, totally non-preachy, but somehow inexplicably meaningful 22 minute package. It's one of those episodes that has such a strong A-plot and such a strong B-plot that you almost forget they are the same episode. Not only does this episode feature Bart's odyssey to regain his soul, but it also features Uncle Moe's Family Feedbag--a hilarious jab at all the ridiculous family restaurants with oh-so-much crazy crap on the walls. This is one of the most eminently quotable episodes and stands out in most fans' minds as a classic. I could start quoting, but we'd never get out of here. Between me and the kiddies at work, we could basically recite the entire episode.

Okay, here's one quote:
Jimbo: Way to breathe, no-breath.


ROSEBUD
Season 5, Episode 4



Of all the Citizen Kane parodies, satires, homages, etc, I'd say this has to be best. Any A-plot that features Mr. Burns is probably going to be awesome, but this one ranks among the most awesome. The flashbacks to Burns' childhood, the sweeping, epic construction, the perilous journey of his beloved stuffed bear through the ages... I hardly know where to begin when describing the greatness of this episode. And, as with the best of the older episodes, it doesn't use the Citizen Kane conceit merely because every other storyline has been done and the writers are out of ideas, but it is rather organically integrated into to world of The Simpsons and has real repercussions for the characters. Homer, who by and large sucks as a father, actually does the decent thing here and takes a pretty massive hit for Maggie's sake, even if she ultimately relinquishes the bear in the end. As if all that wasn't awesome enough, it badassily ends with a Planet of the Apes scenario with cyborg Burns' once again reunites with Bobo some million years in the future. The artistic approach, the structure, the stylization, the story, basically the everything is solid, beginning to end.

If I had to pick just one quote:
Expeditioner: You've gotta start selling this for more than a dollar a bag. We lost four men on this expedition!
Apu: If you can think of a better way to get ice, I'd like to hear it.


SIDESHOW BOB ROBERTS
Season 6, Episode 5



As with many of these, the inclusion of this episode hardly needs to be justified. The social and political satire, coupled with the references to films and events makes for one of the most outstanding episodes of all time. As with Rosebud, this episode satirizes a whole lot of things, but in a way that totally works. The episode doesn't make references for references' sake, making winks and nods at the audience, but instead offers a insanely funny, authentic satire. More recent episodes just pick a movie and replace the characters with characters from the show, but real satire does much, much more. Sideshow Bob episodes are all among my favorites, but for shear intelligence, wit, and writing, this episode takes the cake. Plus, this episode appeals to my distaste for Republicans on basically every possible level, so I can't not adore it.

Oh, so many quotes to choose from:
Bob: No children have ever meddled with the Republican Party and lived to tell about it!


HOMER'S PHOBIA
Season 8, Episode 15



The Simpsons has always had a way of addressing social issues in a way that's somehow pointed, yet not pointed all at once. This episode exposes all the ridiculous notions conservative America has about homosexuality in a way that even conservatives could appreciate on some level. I absolutely adore this episode and even had the pleasure of watching it for a college class once. Using Homer as the stand-in for conservative America, the episode highlights the inexplicable panic over the gay community as Homer goes from adoring John to completely turning against him for no other reason than he's gay. Homer's efforts at making sure Bart is straight crack me up every time. Once again, this episode is insanely quotable and I'm hard-pressed to pick just one. It's a classic. 'Nough said.

One of the many, many, many quotable quotes:
Homer:
Well, it's been two hours. How do you feel?
Bart: I dunno. I kinda want a cigarette.
Homer: That's a good start. Let's get you a pack. What's your brand?
Bart: Anything slim!


22 SHORT FILMS ABOUT SPRINGFIELD
Season 7, Episode 21



Holy cow, where to even begin? This episode has so much going on, is so brilliantly structured, and unrelentingly funny that it's hard to even quantify. Each story is fantastic in its own right, but the way they're woven together is pure genius. Add to that some Pulp Fiction parody and you've pretty much got my dream episode. This episode include a tremendous number of minor characters and even though the vignettes are short, they're each pretty fantastic and somehow come together into a cohesive package. For going against the grain and throwing traditional storytelling out the window alone, this episode wins a lot of points, but throw in how funny and quotable it is and this episode simply had to grace my top ten.

One of the quotes I quote the most:
Skinner:
Aurora Borealis?
Chalmers: Aurora Borealis!? At this time of year? A this time of day? In this part of the country? Localized entirely within your kitchen?
Skinner: Yes.
Chalmers: May I see it?
Skinner: Oh, erm... No.


RAGING ABE SIMPSON AND HIS GRUMBLING GRANDSON IN "THE CURSE OF THE FLYING HELLFISH"
Season 7, Episode 22



This episode didn't come to mind immediately, but the second "Flying Hellfish" popped into my head, it was immediately added to the top ten list. I think one of the things I appreciate most about this episode, aside from its overall brilliance, is the fact that Grampa is center of the story. Not only is that a pretty rare occasion, but never was it done so fabulously, and surprisingly action-packed-edly as with this episode. I love episodes that have flashbacks (particularly ones involving Mr. Burns) and this episode set up a whole mythology in the process, including the ancestors of several of Springfield's residents. It's a genuinely exciting episode that showcases Grampa in a whole different light. Never did it occur to me that at time Grampa could have ever been a badass, but I was wrong. And a tontine?! How cool is that? Oh, and having Ox explain what a tontine is? Solid. Gold.

One of the many quotes:
Bart:
Hey, Mr. Burns! Can I go with you to get the treasure? I won't eat much and I don't know the difference between right and wrong.
Burns: Oh, you're a good boy, but the child labor people have been watching me like a hawk.


BART OF DARKNESS
Season 6, Episode 1



One of my favorite A-plots plus a kickass Hitchcock homage B-plot? Yep, definite spot in my top ten. This is easily one of the my most referenced and most quoted episodes. All you really have to say is, "The pool episode," and all Simpson fans sigh wistfully, saying "Oh, man, that's a great episode!" It's a family favorite, in fact--my eldest brother used to sign things with "Milpool__" on a regular basis. I love that this episode focuses on both Lisa and Bart and then brings them together for one of the best endings in Simpsons history. It's hilarious but surprisingly suspenseful, even with Ned Flanders filling the role of the mur-diddly-erderer on the receiving end of Bart's Rear Window telescope. It's a solid episode from beginning to end and integrates every element in an organic way. Awesomely awesome.

Favorite beyond favorite quote:
Phone voice:
You have selected regicide. If you know the name of the king or queen being murdered, press one.


MARGE BE NOT PROUD
Season 7, Episode 11



My list of favorites on my TV is called "Thrillhouse" (cousin to "Milpool___"), so I couldn't not put this bad boy on the list. I think one of the best parts of this episode is that it really showcases just how crushing it is to have a parent disappointed in you rather than angry. It's actually kind of heart-breaking to watch... you know, amidst all the funny. :) It's a very well-structured episode that sets everything up just perfectly. It's hilarious and touching and ends on an incredibly sweet yet equally funny moment as Bart pretends to love his Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge. It's not easy to have a really poignant episode without being saccharine, but somehow The Simpsons pulls it off. I love this episode so much. Pretty much any time I'm about to receive something or check on something, "Come on, new bike!" is the first thing that comes to mind. It makes the actuality of the reveal a little less disappointing. And, it's a Christmas episode, so it gets extra points.

Such a great quote, and totally one that I wouldn't have thought of first thing:
Nelson: Shoplifting is a victimless crime, like punching someone in the dark.


LISA THE VEGETARIAN
Season 7, Episode 5



I haven't seen this episode in an awful long time, but it definitely sticks out in my mind as a top ten contender. Not only is it a great episode in terms of writing, pacing, concept, and guest stars, but it's an episode that permanently changed one of the characters in a series where that just doesn't happen very often. Lisa becomes a vegetarian in this episode (well duh) and it is referenced in several episodes afterward. Not only does it showcase Lisa's newfound vegetarianism, but is also shines a light on the elitism that sometimes comes along with that position. In the end, Lisa realizes that criticizing what everyone else eats is just as wrong as them criticizing her. What can I say? I loves me some... uh... tolerance... :) I've said of many episodes that they're great from beginning to end, but this episode goes above and beyond. Even the ending credits are awesome as "Maybe I'm Amazed" plays over what can be heard to be a "recipe for a really ripping lentil soup."

One of many awesome quotes:
Homer:
It's just a little dirty. It's still good, it's still good! [Passes traffic, jumps a bridge and lands in the water.] It's just a little slimy, it's still good, it's still good! [It gets caught in a dam spillway, and when the pressure builds, it shoots into the sky.] It's just a little airborne, it's still good, it's still good!
Bart: [Crestfallen.] It's gone.
Homer: I know.


THE DAY THE VIOLENCE DIED
Season 7, Episode 18



Rounding out my top ten was nigh impossible, but after much soul-searching, I think this bad boy just makes the cut. As mentioned previously, I kinda sorta love episodes with flashbacks and not only does this one have them, it also has old Itchy and Scratchy cartoons and a Schoolhouse Rock! parody. "Steamboat Itchy"? "I'm Just a Bill"? There's no way I couldn't include this episode in my top ten. The old cartoons are oh-so-well-done and they manage to capture the style of each era perfectly, and as per usual, hilariously. There's really little else to say. This episode has a hell of a lot of elements to it and they're all fantastic. Oh, and then getting all meta at the end with the old cartoon versions of Lisa and Bart showing up to save the day? Perfect.

Barring a complete rendition of "I'm Just a Bill", here's a quote that cracks me up every time:
Milhouse:
Look out Itchy, he's Irish!

So those were my top ten. I know that all the Simpsons fans out there who are reading this are surely up in arms that certain episodes didn't make it onto the list, but I challenge you to try this exercise for yourself and see how not easy it is. Seriously, filling the last couple of slots was way more stressful than you'd think.

If I were making a top 30 or 40, it would be easy, but a top 10? That's rough.

Here are episodes that I bandied in and out of the top 10 about a dozen times, replacing one episode with another until they ultimately just missed the cut in the end:

Home Sweet Home-Diddily-Dum-Doodily (this was one of the hardest to cut... such a great episode...)

Lisa vs. Malibu Stacy (a classic--it moved in and out of the top ten about 15 times)

In Marge We Trust (I know, I know, how could Mr. Sparkle not make the top ten?! Well, while that's one of my favorite moments on the show of all time, the episode as a whole just didn't quite make the list)

Cape Feare

Itchy and Scratchy: The Movie

A Star is Burns

The Springfield Files

You Only Move Twice

Lemon of Troy

Lisa on Ice

Homer the Great

King Size Homer

Two Dozen and One Greyhounds

Mother Simpson

Bart on the Road

Brother From Another Series

And god knows how many more. The list I was working off of seriously had at least 50 episodes on it. Most of the one listed in my "didn't quite make the cut" list could easily fit in the top ten and would all be episodes I'd be comfortable putting there, but at the end of the day, this is the list I came up with. I challenge you all to try it. It's almost heart-breaking... (in a, "could I get anymore pathetic?" kind of way...)

3 comments:

Ann said...

Brrrrrrilliant!

Lindsay said...

I love "Lisa the Vegetarian." On Sunday my brother and I were talking about that at the dinner table. I think my youngest sister asked about the meat and I said, "I think it might have died of loneliness."
Not surprisingly only me and my brother laughed.
Good times!

Jerome Samson said...

Being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com