Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Random TV Detritus

I couldn't come up with any logical organization for all the bits of televisual flotsam and jetsam that have been swirling around in my head of late, so I'm just going to throw them all in one miscellaneous post. Between the summer shows coming to an end, the TCAs (Television Critics Association panel-y type conference-y thingamajig), and BBC America invading my viewing agenda more and more, I've got a lot of randomness going on and simply can't be bothered to organize any of it beyond the most basic of categories. Long story short? Not thinking is muuuuch easier than thinking.

USA NETWORK UPDATES:

IN PLAIN SIGHT: While there's not a lot less fanfare involved with USA Network pick-ups, I was pleased nonetheless to hear that In Plain Sight just got the green light for a third season. It's really the little second tier show that could. I have to admit, I'm pretty surprised at just how much this show has grown on me over the past two seasons. I can't imagine it will ever become a top tier contender, but it makes for a nice addition to my schedule (especially my ridiculously slim Sunday viewing options). I'm a little afraid of where Mary's personal life is headed (what with the ill-fated engagement and all), but at least her mother has seemingly disappeared and her sister has been reduced to cameos. The writers are building up the sexual tension between Mary and Marshall and it's becoming more and more apparent that Marshall thinks of her as more than just a partner. It's a pretty standard storyline, but I have some ideas on how the writers could make it pretty awesome. I don't know that I'd ever like to see Mary and Marshall become a couple or anything, but I do enjoy the differing agendas going on. My predictions? I think the third season will illuminate to everyone the true nature of Mary and Marshall's relationship. Raf may be her romantic partner, but Marshall is quite clearly her partner in every other conceivable sense of the word. I'm not sure to what extent Marshall may or may not be in love with Mary, but I'm excited to find out. I realize I'm the only person who watches this show, so I don't expect anyone else to jump on the bandwagon here, but I'm thinking next season is going to be pretty awesome. The season 2 finale is on Sunday, so if you're just now thinking you'd like to give it a shot, this wouldn't be the most ideal time...

ROYAL PAINS: In other pick-up news, Royals Pains got the go ahead for next year after surprisingly decent ratings. Royal Pains isn't as horrible as I would have expected (it's fairly watchable, if not anything to write home about), but I think I'm giving it the official heave-ho. I've only kept up with it in the most cursory of ways, but even that is more than I really care to give. If USA didn't make it so damned easy to keep up with crap (what with airing them a million times), I'd have never have given it this much of my time. The fact that it's a summer show also played a part... In spite of all these aspects, it's as blah as ever and I'm done.

BURN NOTICE: Awww, Burn Notice. Eases the pain. How insane has this season been? With each passing episode, I become less and less supremely confident that everything will work out okay. Michael Westen may have actual magically powers when it comes to spy-ishness, but the baddies have been coming out in full force this year. While past seasons have been much more specifically client-of-the-week, this season has seen Michael and company be the clients more and more often. The tension between Mike and Fi hasn't helped calm the seas either. I'll be posting more about Burn Notice after Thursday's mid-season finale (which, holy moly, have you seen the sneak peek pics?! Ahhh!), but for now, rest assured that my most darling of shows has been renewed for next season, much to no one's surprise. The second half of the third season won't air till January 2010 (gah!), so soak up all the Burn Notice-y goodness while you have the chance.

CW NETWORK UPDATES:

THE BODY POLITIC:
In spite of the fact that it had some serious potential, I'm hearing that The Body Politic is officially dead. Network president Dawn Ostroff confirmed today at the TCAs that the show won't be making it on the air, not even at mid-season as so very many people (read: me) had hoped. Word is, the actors have all moved on and been cast in other productions. I don't know if Dawn herself held the ax on this one, but I choose to blame her regardless. Here's hoping Jason Dohring finds a new gig that won't get cancelled... assuming he finds something that gets picked up in the first place... Oy.

GOSSIP GIRL: In better CW news, I'm also hearing that the rather unfortunate Gossip Girl spin-off with Lily's backstory is looking unlikelier by the minute. No official death notice, but it doesn't sound like it'll ever happen. That's not say that a spin-off isn't a possibility in the future, but that the original conception won't likely make it off the ground. I, like many, am rather relieved to hear this... Those Lily flashbacks were...not good, we'll say. It's a shame too because there were more than a few Veronica Mars alums in that thum thar flashback sequence...

OTHER NETWORK UPDATES:

DOLLHOUSE:
I finally got around to watching the unaired pilot (you know, the one that was pretty much entirely scrapped) and I have to say, in many ways I liked it quite a bit better than the pilot that actually aired. I've heard conflicting reports of just why the original pilot was scrapped, and although the prevailing notion is that Joss himself was unhappy with it, I maintain that the brass at Fox had more than a little to do with it as well. In the plus column, the original pilot felt a lot more Whedon-esque, it explained the rules of the Dollhouse universe in a way that made much more sense and was much more logical in application, and most importantly, it didn't have the largely weak A-plot story-of-the-week of the official pilot (the aspect with which I was the most unimpressed). The hostage negotiator, procedural-style A-plot of the official pilot left me underwhelmed, a little annoyed, and tended to muddy the waters as far as the science and lore of the show is concerned. To be fair, it's hard to know how I would have reacted to the original pilot had I not seen the entire series thus far, but I'm supremely confident I would have liked it better. In defense of the official pilot, had the original aired instead, the series would have taken a very different path. In the original pilot, Ballard meets Echo right off the bat, Victor is revealed to the audience as a doll, and Echo's notions of self are already starting to show. The original set thinks up more clearly, but threw a whole lot of plot progression into that single episode. I've never been one for weak A-plots, so I think that's my primary bone of contention with the official pilot and really shouldn't reflect on the entire pilot as a whole, but kinda does... In terms of a pilot setting up the rest of the season, I can be persuaded that the official pilot was better, but as a stand-alone, I think the original had more going for it. I haven't watched Epitaph One yet, but I hear it's a whole lotta "huh?" For which, I'm unduly excited. :) In other Dollhouse news, I'm hearing Amy Acker (aka Dr. Saunders aka Whiskey) has been confirmed for three episodes for season 2. Thanks to her role in Happy Town, she just isn't as available and one would hope... Here's hoping they make the most of those three episodes. No official word yet on Alan Tudyk, but I'm hearing he'll be back as Alpha somewhere toward the middle of next season. In casting news, I'm hearing that Battlestar Galactica alums Apollo and Saul Tigh will be joining Helo for an episode a piece. Apollo is set for the premiere, as I recall... In even more exciting casting news, I hear that Alexis Denisof (aka Wesley from Buffy and Angel) is on the docket for next season. Yay! I've missed him... And I'd love to see him and Amy Acker onscreen together again. Finally, I've also heard the Felicia Day will find her way into the mix again somehow and there are plans to bring Summer Glau into the fold, although nothing official has been written. The show (as with most Whedon productions) is pretty much turning into one big family reunion--only this is a reunion you'd actually want to attend. :)

SKINS: Most of you have probably never even heard of Skins, but I'm going to tout its premiere nonetheless. For some connections for you, one of the kids in the show (Dev Patel) went on to star in Slumdog Millionaire as Jamal and remember that socially awkward kid (Nick Hoult, pictured) from About A Boy? Well, he's all grown up and raising hell for the first two seasons. (Quite contrary to what you'd have thought after seeing About A Boy, he totally plays the leader of the pack, the rake, the cad--basically the tool.) The third season starts up on Thursday and I'm more than a little giddy, if slightly apprehensive. Skins follows a group of British teens as they try to find their way in a world of questionable parenting, drugs, sex, violence, and pretty much everything else. It sounds like your straight-forward teen drama, but as with so many British shows, it doesn't pull any punches and has a much grittier, edgier feel to it than most of what's available on standard American programming. Along with the grit, the show is bitingly funny and manages to blend serious character development in with all the light and dark and crazy of the world around them. My apprehension comes from the fact that, aside from Effy, it's an entirely new cast. I'm sure the writers will knock it out of the park once again in spite of the new cast, but I just don't know if it'll be the same without Tony, Michelle, Sid, Cassie, and company... Regardless, I can't wait to find out. :) Seasons 1 and 2 are available on iTunes, if you're interested. Bear in mind, it's definitely not G-rated, so you've been warned. If, however, teenage debauchery is up your alley, you've officially hit the jackpot.

3 comments:

Joswha said...

So where did you find a copy of the original Dollhouse pilot. I'd love to see it!?

Anonymous said...

I really would like to see Jason Dohring in a good show as the lead bu above all he is shaped to act in movies.

Jerome Samson said...

Being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com