Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Long Con

I tell ya what, wow. A whole lotta stuff happened on last night's season finale of White Collar, but I think we can all agree that the number one thing we learned is that Alex is apparently the smartest person on the show. Note to self: If you're ever held hostage with Neal Caffrey, be sure to hide the only means of survival in your bra. "Just like old times," Alex notes as Neal immediately knows exactly what to do to retrieve the pocket knife. Hehe. I always enjoy musing on Neal and Alex's history together, but that it apparently includes so many instances of Neal fishing for an item in her bra, with his teeth, that it falls into "just like old times" territory cracks me up. Exactly how often did this situation come up, I have to wonder. With Neal and Alex, I suspect it happens a lot more often than you'd think. The look on Peter's face was classic. I don't think Peter will be able to think of bobbing for "apples" in the same way ever again...

This was a big episode that essentially resolved the past two seasons of mythology. Not an easy feat, but I must say, they pulled it off nicely. In spite of a tremendous amount of exposition and story development, it didn't feel forced or rushed. Even better, they wrapped up the whole music box/Kate/fractal/Adler ongoing story arc in a way that actually made sense. It wasn't perfect, and there were several rather convenient elements, but overall, it felt like the writers had actually planned for this since the beginning. Unlike resolutions to story arcs on other shows that were completely unfounded and ridiculous (*cough* Gormogon *cough*), it was actually really satisfying to see it all come together in a mostly logical way. Submarine full of Nazi-stolen art?! Yes, please. Awesome, really. After this much effort and trouble and turmoil, the pay off needed to be huge, and it was. What could possibly possess someone to go through all this? Billions upon billions of dollars in historically relevant art, that's what. So often with shows, I'm left thinking, "That's it?" But here, I was like, "Well, hell ya it's worth it!" I loves me some art and I loves me some history, so I can happily believe that this was a prize worth killing for.

My main quibble was the notion that Adler didn't know about Alex's grandfather. Really? You kidnapped her solely to screw with Neal? I suppose it could happen (Adler knew about Neal and Alex's relationship from back in the day, though I'm guessing he didn't know about the repeated apple bobbing), but I'm not convinced. After all the investigating and planning and scheming Adler has done over the past season, it makes sense that he would have put it all together. However she ended up there, it sure was convenient that she happened to know the secret code to defuse the bomb. What a crazy random happenstance! Honestly though, I had gotten weary of the music box a while ago, so whatever needs to happen to resolve that story, I'm happy with it.

All in all it was very well done. I still find it hard to believe that any criminal in the entire state of New York wouldn't know that Neal was working for the feds (especially one that runs in the same circles as Alex), but I was enjoying the episode enough that I let it slide. Indeed, after the big reveal at the end, that Neal might not be on Peter's side after all, I can at least come up with some conspiracy theories as to why his criminal contacts would still believe him (maybe they know something about Neal's motives that the audience doesn't). The reveal that Adler had been searching for sunken Nazi art was huge and awesome, but the last minute of the show has implications that will affect the entire rest of the series.

I'm unbelievably excited for the direction the show is heading. Quite frankly, it finally seems to be going in the direction I always hoped it would. I love the bromance between Peter and Neal and I adore the dynamic that has been forged between them, but it just seems like it came too easily. Sure there have been instances when Peter doubted Neal, but it's generally been in a mild, almost tongue-in-cheek way. I always thought the buddy-buddy, trusting relationship between Peter and Neal was a bit far-fetched and I was sure that the show would examine Neal's true motives and Peter's suspicions, but heretofore, any wavering was fleeting. Finally, after two entire seasons of establishing their relationship, the show has opened the door to the prospect that Neal really isn't the fed-friendly CI he pretends to be. After the pilot, I assumed the push and pull of their tenuous agreement would be explored early on, but after seeing the first two seasons, I can see where the writers opted to wait. Indeed, I think it was the right decision, even if it didn't always make perfect sense in every episode. Showing cracks in Neal's loyalty now, after two entire years of him convincing Peter (and the audience) that he was one of the "good guys," makes the impact so much greater. Now it isn't simply a con doing what cons do, it's an utter betrayal of friendship. Where the revelation that Neal might be pulling the longest con ever early on in the show would have been par for the course for a career criminal, allowing it to play out after all this time is like a sucker-punch to Peter. I can see where a lot of fans might be dismayed at the thought of Neal turning on Peter (assuming he was ever actually on his side to begin with), but I am completely thrilled. This is where I've been hoping things would go. As the final moments of the finale unfolded, I was grinning from ear to ear and happily yelling, "Run, Neal! Run!" It's not that I delight at the thought of Neal betraying Peter in and of itself, but I think it sets up some incredible drama to come. The internal struggles they'll both be processing should be pretty damn gripping and I can't wait to see it. It's actually where I had hoped Alias would go in seasons 4 and 5. I was hoping that she and Sark would have to work together, but neither could be certain of the other's loyalties. I love it when characters have to try to constantly question motives and and loyalties, especially when both players are consistently 10 steps ahead of everyone else in the room. So great. I, as a viewer, love the guessing game as well, particularly when I'm invested in the best interests of both parties. I don't doubt that there may be heartbreak, but if the writers play their cards right, it should be amazing. If Neal's smile at the end is any indication, we're in for some fun.

Speaking of heartbreak, I'm trying desperately to enjoy seeing Neal and Sara together, but it's just not working. As near as I can tell, the love or hate of Hilarie Burton is split right down the middle of the fanbase. Some seem to think they have smokin' chemistry together, but for me? It feels like I'm watching a high school production of From Here to Eternity, starring a pair of first cousins. Seriously, the difference between watching Neal with Alex and watching Neal with Sara is stark. Neal and Alex absolutely smolder together. They have a very playful, coy, flirty vibe going to totally works for me. When they kiss, I believe it. When Neal and Sara kiss, I try to get into it, but ultimately fail. I can see where she's trying to play the straight-laced, sexually repressed element, but she just doesn't play it well enough to be believable. Usually that kind of dynamic makes the hook-up even more squee-worthy, but here? Uh-uh. I get the feeling that in real life, Matt Bomer and Gloria Votsis (Alex) get along famously, while Matt and Hilarie just work together. I've been pissed ever since I heard that Hilarie had been made a series regular next season, but based on developments at the end of the episode, I'm actually a little hopeful. I'm guessing Sara won't factor into the show in quite the same way I had suspected, which is quite welcomed. Who knows? Maybe Sara is simply part of Neal's plan. I'm not sure where their relationship will go, or if it's truly genuine, but Neal's dirty deeds open the door for it to be far more complicated than I had assumed it would be. Also, what with the mystery note-leaver working with Neal, the future is wide open. I'm really excited to see who is working with Neal (please say Alex), how far this plot goes back (I'm guessing it goes back farther than we think) and how Peter will unravel it all. I have it on good authority that the mystery note-leaver is NOT Kate. Kate is dead. Officially. Show creator Jeff Eastin has confirmed that she is definitely dead, so I can at least scratch that unfortunate possibility off my list.

This show has really come into its own and I think season 3 has the potential to be the best ever. I love seeing Neal be the con he used to be and the cat and mouse between him and Peter is going to be awesome. It really feels like the writers have let the show grow up a bit. I realize that airing on USA network automatically lightens the tone of a show (apparently Eastin's original concept was a dark drama), but they've found a nice balance between the light and dark. They still don't seem to trust their audience as much as they should though. When that burning piece of Neal's painting fell at Peter's feet and the flashed back to earlier in the episode, I couldn't help but to groan. Seriously? That happened like 38 minutes ago and you think I forgot? Even my mom, who is notorious for missing major plot points, was like, "Well, duh." Maybe if that painting had been shown 3 or 4 episodes ago, it would be warranted, but back to less than an hour ago? That's just pathetic. And insulting.

All in all, this show has become one of my favorites and the season 2 finale did the show justice. I have some niggling concerns and questions from the finale that I'm not sure where to put...
  • Who is Neal's partner-in-crime? Mozzie? Alex? Someone entirely different? I'm wagering that will be a big part of season 3, but I'm not sure how they'll be able to keep it a secret for very long... Theoretically, if Neal is working with this person in the long run, at least the audience will find out who it is sooner than later. I don't know that the note and key would really be Mozzie's style... or Alex's for that matter... so who knows.

  • I refuse to believe that it was a good idea for Neal's partner-in-crime to leave a note, with an exact address, and a key, in play view on his table. Sure Neal is likely the person who would find it, but especially with Peter's suspicions piqued, I'd have opted for something a little stealthier.

  • Was Neal wearing his anklet when he went to the warehouse? Again, stupid. I assume he had to have had it put back on by that point, but I'm hoping there's a logical explanation for why that wouldn't be the case. Otherwise, Peter should be finding that treasure trove of stolen art in about 15 minutes. Neal knew Peter was suspicious, so unless his zeal got the better of him and he couldn't resist, he should have known better than to have gone to the unit. In related news, they can't get rid of that anklet soon enough.

  • It's safe to assume that the paintings that went up in smoke were all Neal's (nice of them to slip in the fact that he had filled a storage unit with art earlier in the episode). Is it also safe to assume that he took the time and energy to make sure that the chemical composition of the paint and the materials used for the rest of the pieces were historically accurate? As per that episode of Justified with the Hitler paintings, it was clear that the paintings that were burned were not Hitler's based on the materials used. I assume that the FBI would look into it thoroughly, so I assume Neal took the time to make the paintings as authentic as possible... If he had gone to those lengths, however, why wouldn't he have created reproductions of suspected stolen pieces? I'm guessing it's because his plan doesn't go back that far (maybe he really didn't know what Adler was after all this time), but in that case, then the materials will be way off... I'm hoping they address this in season 3, because it's irking me.

  • Or am I completely off the mark here? Who knows, maybe Neal really is an innocent here and the reason he got so angry with Peter in the last scene was because Peter was once again questioning his loyalties. Maybe Neal himself has no idea who took the Nazi haul and put it in that warehouse and maybe next season will be focused on Neal's search for this person. I have a hard time believing Neal was completely in the dark for all this (what with his paintings being the ones that went up in the fire), but I can see where I could be reading way too much corruption into his actions as well... After pondering and pondering, I have a feeling the truth lies somewhere in between my hopes of total nefariousness and the possibility of plausible deniability. However involved Neal already is, I think next season will be an examination of what Neal will do next. Will he keep the treasure and make a run for it? Or will he stay true to Peter? Wherever the writers take this, I'm excited for the ride.
Well, there ya have it. There were more niggling questions that I had, but now I can't remember them. I'm hopeful that next season will feature Neal retuning to form as the badass con man we all know and love and that the psychological mind games with Peter will be as stellar as expected. Also, here's hoping that Alex is featured prominently and Sara isn't. (Yes, I know that contract information would suggest otherwise, but a girl can dream, right?)

Kudos, White Collar. Very nicely done.

No comments: