Monday, May 23, 2011

CW Upfronts: Last and Least (per yoozh)

Oh, don't worry, I just had a fairly absurd discussion with Annie about how on earth to spell "yoozh" (you know, as in "usual"... or not). Anyway, such a silly debate is actually a fairly apt preamble when it comes to the CW network...

It's not for lack of trying, but the CW just struggles. A lot. Seriously, the WB did all right, didn't it? Of course, the WB didn't have ABC Family breathing down its neck, but still. The CW's one, true saving grace is that it picked up Nikita for second season. Only on the CW could a show with those kind of ratings see another year, so in a way, the abysmal status of the network worked to my advantage there. It's a surprisingly good show, the second best on the network, and it deserved another year to prove itself. The fact that it's been shuffled to Friday is less than encouraging, but it's not like the CW has anything with which to replace it either. I like to think that part of the reason it got a stay of execution was that Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson (aka the showrunners behind The Vampire Diaries and new pilot The Secret Circle) are such big fans of the show. If anyone has some sway at the network, I'd say it's them. Whatever the case may be, I will take it. Suffice it to say, if Smallville weren't coming to an end, I think Nikita would be.

Not a whole lot to report, given the size of the network and all, but here's how it breaks down.

SHOWS THAT HAVE BEEN CANCELED:
  • Hellcats
    I barely made it through the pilot and even the promise of Gale Harold couldn't lure me back after that. Don't get me wrong, between this or the 112th season of One Tree Hill, I'd have to pick this, but I can't say I'm sad to see it go.

  • Life Unexpected
    This got canceled ages ago, but it looked stupid to only have Hellcats under this heading, so I branched out... Oh, don't you worry though, the beyond annoying girl who played Lux will be back on the network come fall in The Secret Circle. Based on that casting decision alone, I'm about 40% less excited about the show.

  • Smallville (final season)
    I can't believe this show has been on for this long, but I have to give it props for ending at exactly the right time (you know, so that Nikita gets a reprieve). I guess Superman's last heroic act was to save an underappreciated spy series that's very close to my heart. Awh.
SHOWS THAT HAVE BEEN PICKED-UP:
  • 90210
    Ugh. That is all.

  • Gossip Girl
    I hear this show got awesome again, but I'm too far behind now to just casually start watching again. I gave up half-way through season 3 and haven't been able to get back in the game. Apparently Dan and Blair hooked up? Well, when all other combinations have been exhausted... I supposed it was them or Dan and Serena for the 87th time... Yikes.

  • Nikita
    Yay! I already blathered on about this show in a previous post, so I'll just say I'm glad it survived. With this renewed, The Chicago Code was the only one of my shows to bite the bullet.

  • One Tree Hill
    Oh, sweet Jesus, what will this be, season 9? Only on the CW. Wow, this is part of the reason you're not a real network, CW.

  • Supernatural
    I don't watch this show, but judging by how rabid its fans are, I seem to be missing something pretty awesome. Maybe someday.

  • The Vampire Diaries
    Two seasons in, and I'm still in love. Here's hoping it doesn't fizzle out in season 3 like Gossip Girl did... I'm a little afraid that Kevin Williamson will be stretched a little thin with The Secret Circle, but here's hoping Damon and friends will continue to kick ass and sacrifice things in the year to come.

No comments: