Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fox Upfronts: The Good Die Young

NOTE: I'm sorry this is so late in coming. Blogger has been struggling hardcore for several days now. Yeah, just when finale season and Upfront season intersect, Blogger decides to have some sort of coronary problem. Anyway, I was poised and ready to discuss the finales of The Vampire Diaries (Vicki and Anna! Ahhh!), Nikita, and just about everything else, but couldn't. And now it just feels like it's kind of too late... Anyway, moving on with the Upfronts!

As any Whedonverse devotee will attest, you can't get too attached to programs on the Fox network because, well, no one likes heartbreak. Citing precedent, it really shouldn't come as much of a surprise that the only show on the network whose fate I actually cared about is one of the first to get the axe. The Chicago Code was a surprisingly smart and engaging show for network TV, which I guess means it was doomed. And another one bites the dust. The list of network shows that I watch has been in precipitous decline for the past few years now, and it's gotten to the point were I can count them on one hand. The Chicago Code is a pretty painful loss. It wasn't a perfect show (the writers didn't seem to know what to do with Vonda and Isaac most of the time), but compared to the other network schlock it was up against, it was head and shoulders above most other shows. Shawn Ryan deserves better. He's a fine showrunner who always producing quality programming. So let's face it. He didn't stand a chance.

Fox is a tough nut to crack for a number of reasons and it has some network idiosyncrasies that make it more prone to slaughter than others. First and foremost, it doesn't have a third hour of primetime like the other big networks, so it immediately has 5 fewer hours per week to fill. On top of that, it has like, 17 hours of American Idol each week, which decreases the room for scripted programming even more. At the end of the day, they simply don't have the space to keep anything that isn't performing incredibly well. There have been some notable exceptions, of course, but by and large, they don't hang on to shows that are under-performing. Fringe got a notable pick-up this year in spite of poor performance, but that's because it airs on Friday, a night that Fox gave up on long ago. Plus, I think they're still a little gun-shy about pissing off the science fiction community.

Here's the full list of CASUALTIES:
  • The Chicago Code
    Again, this is the one that really hurts. I hear showrunner Shawn Ryan already has his sights set on a new project though, and from the brief concept idea that I ran across, it sounds like it's going to be excellent. Here's hoping it finds a network that will keep it going.

  • Lie to Me
    This was a third tier show at best, but it made for a nice space filler on an empty viewing day. I kept up with this one well enough, but it was far too procedural to really keep me invested. I need more over-arching story to really care about a show and Lie to Me never really delivered.

  • Human Target
    Won't be missed. I made it through a couple of episodes and that was plenty.

  • Traffic Light
    I never even screened this sucker. It looked awful and I knew it didn't stand a chance anyway. Tootles!

  • Braking In
    See above comments, copy and paste. Oh, Christian Slater. It's cute that you think you still have a career. [This just in, this show might just get a last minute stay of execution. Word is, Fox is considering bringing it back after all. I think it depends on whether or not they have a half-hour companion show on the docket or not... I never even screened the pilot, so I'm not invested one way or the other.]

  • The Good Guys
    This one has been dead in the water for ages now. In case you're one of the two people who watch, it ain't comin' back.

  • Running Wilde
    This one got pulled ages ago as well, in case you hadn't heard. But, showkiller Will Arnett has teamed up with showkiller Christina Applegate for a new comedy (to air on ABC, I think), so if you fear not, if you loved Running Wilde, you'll get another chance basically
Here are the shows that will be RETURNING next season:
  • House
    Against all reason, yes, House will be back again this fall for an EIGHTH and hopefully final season. Please just let it die already. It kills me that Fox would rather keep an aging, increasingly pitiful show around than give The Chicago Code a relaunch for fall. Oy. In related news, I hear that Lisa Edelstein has officially jumped ship and will not be reprising her role as Cuddy next year. Godspeed, my friend. Never look back.

  • Glee
    I loved season 1, I could barely even finish season 2. If every episode were a Brad Falchuk episode, I think I would still love the show, but his episodes are too few and too long in between to sustain me. I still haven't decided if I'll be giving this one a chance in the fall. It depends on how my schedule looks. Want to see something truly shocking? Go back and watch the Glee pilot on Netflix Instant Play. Holy hell, you'll hardly even recognize the show. Wow. Did you know that it used to have a plot? And characters? And wasn't

  • Bones
    Ugh. As though this show weren't mediocre enough, and as though it hasn't been around for about 3 seasons too long, now Bones is pregnant. Well, Emily Deschanel is pregnant, but that's just as bad. I don't even really watch this show anymore (unless there's absolutely nothing else on), but knowing that it's coming back and The Chicago Code isn't makes me bitter(erer). Geez, Fox, so far you're looking like a real winner come fall...

  • Fringe
    I've been meaning to catch up on this one, so I'm pleased to see that it'll be back. Quite frankly, any vote of confidence for Sci Fi as a genre gets a thumbs-up from me. It always makes me smile that they put this kind of show on Fridays, you know, because it's not like geeks have dates to go on or anything. I sure don't.

  • Fox Animation Block: The Cleveland Show, Family Guy, American Dad, The Simpsons

  • Raising Hope
    It isn't appointment TV for me or anything, but it's a fun little show starring the incomparable Martha Plimpton, so I'm quite pleased to see it picked up for next season. Although, if it ever gets canceled, I suppose that frees Martha up for more time on The Good Wife, so I guess I'd be okay either way.
I was going to include a preview of fall shows in this post, but I think that's best left for another entry (it's gonna be on the long side). There are some definite contenders coming up in a few months, but mostly, it's just a bunch of crap. You know, like last year.

No comments: