Tuesday, June 10, 2008

WALL-E vs. Short Circuit

Given Pixar's track record, I am looking forward to their new production, Wall-e, with quite a bit of giddy anticipation. I've never been particularly enamored of robots, so I was a bit apprehensive at first, but let's face it, cars really don't do anything for me at all (aside from getting me from point A to point B), and I loved Cars anyway. Granted Cars wasn't my favorite Pixar outing, but still a solid picture that I thoroughly enjoyed. Wall-e premieres later this month and I'm pretty excited. The reviews have been nothing but positive so far, and, aside from the threat of children being in attendance at the theatre [insert cold shudder and annoyed glare], I fully expect to be completely enthralled.

In several of the reviews I've come across lately, however, there have been more than a few, rather disconcerting comparisons to the 1986 craptasticness that was Short Circuit. While I admit there's a certain similarity between the physical designs of Wall-e and Number 5, I'm hopeful the similarities end there.

This trailer for Wall-e makes me quite hopeful:



Compare the charming trailer of Wall-e to the unbelievable creep-fest that is this scene from Short Circuit... I think we can all agree that Short Circuit set a very low, very quease-inducing bar that Wall-e won't come anywhere close to...



To quote the I Love the 80's review of this scene, "Oh geez... are they gonna make out?" Yikes and double yikes.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Oh but come on...Steve Guttenberg. Gotta love that guy.

Me said...

So Nate made me watch Short Circuit in the early years of marriage (WOW. I can actually say the "early years of marriage.") cause he said he loved it as a kid... yeah we laughed all the way through it, HORRIBLE just HORRIBLE!!!