Friday, September 26, 2008

TV Roundup--New Shows So Far...

In an unusually sparse line-up of new shows, I've really had to adjust my strategies for this season. Ususally, I have the pleasure of taking chances on probably a dozen new shows and deciding if I should axe any of my usuals in the interest of something shiny... This season? I still have the urge to axe some of my oldies, but haven't a whole lot to replace them with. Henceforth, my schedule is filling up with old stuff I'm kind of sick of and new stuff that isn't that spectacular. Sigh... I'm hopeful the next few weeks of premieres will bolster my schedule, but so far, so not-so-good...

Anyway, here's how things are stacking up so far.

NEW SHOWS THAT I'VE GIVEN A CHANCE:
  • FRINGE: This is the show I was most excitedly anticipating, but so far it has been a bit of a letdown. Only three episodes have aired, so I'm not going to give it the old heave-ho just yet, but at the same time, I'm not exactly giddy for each new episode. The concept has merit, but once again, the execution is problematic at best. I'm finding Pacey's snottiness even more unwarranted, especially when hurled at his old, batty father. There's just something about is demeanor that strikes the wrong chord. I find his character the most charming when he's not being a smarmy jackass (which is usually when I'm most delighted with someone) and that's a pretty paltry percentage of the time. Anna Torv isn't doing herself any favors with her character profiile either. She's so dour you either want to smack her or fall asleep. Or, ideally, manage to flail your hand into her face as you unconsciously slump to the floor.

    Bottom Line: It's kind of X-Files-y, but not as good. And, if you've seen one 8-year-stint of sci-fi detective work, you've seen 'em all. I'll be giving Fringe a couple more episodes to grab me, but unless Anna Torv is the next sci-fi conundrum they solve (you know, what alien presence could possibly make someone so bland?), I'm doubting it will make it onto my permanent rotation...

  • THE MENTALIST: Okay, I approached this bad boy with more than a little apprehension and a healthy dollop of superciliousness, planning to mock and mame at every turn. Little did I know that it's actually a pretty decent show. The pilot aired the other night (and airs again tonight, if you're interested) and I was genuinely drawn in and entertained. I'm not saying it's the greatest show ever or anything, but for the procedural that it is, it's quite well done.

    Simon Baker, the lead actor on the show, is truly the anchor and driving force behind the pilot's success. He plays one of those ever-so-ubiquitous know-it-all types, but rather than being annoying (as is so often the case), his character is quite charming. In an odd twist for a know-it-all detective, he's surprisingly polite and even soft-spoken. His character used to be a fake TV psychic, but after his family is murdered, now uses his powers of, um, menial observation to genuinely help people. His character has a more complex pathology than I was expecting and his genius is unassuming, but influential.

    The supporting cast could be better. Without Baker at the helm, I think this would be just another procedural where the maverick genius goes against standard procedure to solve the unsolvable. Robin Tunney, who is dull as ever, fills the requisite role of Baker's foil, playing the rule-abiding, protocol-following straight woman of the pair. It's kind of a one-dimensional, hackneyed role, so I guess for what it's worth, Tunney does what was called for (not that that makes her engaging in any way). As usual... I realize the need for a foil, but I think they could have done a whole lot better.

    The whodunnit of the pilot was well thought-out and the mystery was engaging, if not entirely unique (it's a busy genre, what can I say?) The pacing was effective and I didn't find myself getting bored or irritated. If this is a harbinger of mysteries of the week to come, I think the show will do pretty well. Yet again, nothing earth-shattering or spectacular here, but definitely enjoyable. Also, the larger story arc involving Red John has affected Baker's character directly, so it makes for a more engaging season, multi-season, or god help us, series plotline. (For the sake of the show, I'm hopeful they wrap it up at the end of season 1--trust me peeps, it's for the best.)

    Bottom Line: If you're in to procedurals (or even if you aren't), The Mentalist is at least worth checking out, even if only for Simon Baker. I'm not sure it's quite good enough to make my permanent rotation, but it's much better than it looks and I think I'll be DVRing this one for weekends and rainy days.

And, as those are the only two new shows that have premiered so far (shockingly, given that Sepetember is almost over), my next roundup will have to be about returning shows. This little post turned into quite a bit more than expected (as is par for the course), so I'm having to break things up. I was going to have one giant monolith of TV reviews, but I find bite size pieces to be a lot easier to swallow.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Lace, I always love reading your television reviews because you and I have such similar taste in shows. I find myself thinking, "Huh! You know what? That's pretty much what I thought! And yet, she puts it so beautifully on the page. Tripping off the...tongue? No--blog."

You are way more tolerant of Fringe than I am, because after the second episode, we deleted it from our rotation. But I kind of loved The Mentalist more than I expected! Simon Baker played it so well. At the end, I said something about him not being the scum he turned out to be in Devil Wears Prada...Rachel gasps, "THAT's what he's in! It's been bugging me this whole time!" :)

chucho said...

you are dumb for not visiting me. they have buses round' these parts, you know. whatevah.