Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Dead or Alive

Hey peeps. It's that time of year again. The time when all the new pilots (or in the case of this season, just about everything) is on the chopping block and shows are desperate to get the green light for a full-season pick-up. There have been many disturbing developments on this front already, but it's the what-ifs that are the real cause for concern. Here's how shows are stacking up so far:

FULL SEASON PICK-UPS:
  • CHUCK: In spite of lower than expected (and much lower than deserved) ratings, NBC gave Chuck a full season pick-up even before the first episode aired. It's a great show and NBC is sticking with it. Good for you, NBC. It really is one of the best shows that people aren't watching, so if you're one of those people, get your ass in gear and give Chuck a shot. It's a show that takes no effort and provides a lot of entertainment. If the world is getting you down (read: stock market), try zoning out with Chuck on Mondays at 7 pm.

  • KNIGHT RIDER: Yeah, I don't think anyone saw this coming... In a much less laudable move on NBC's part, the unbelievable crap pile that is Knight Rider got picked up. In case anyone was unsure of the end of the world, move over global warming, we have a new horseman in town... and his name is KITT. Oy.

  • DEXTER: Oh, Dexter, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways... Okay, that would take too long. Suffice it to say, Dexter is well deserving of the 4th and 5th seasons that have just been greenlit.

  • 90210: Blah. Meh. Yawn. But, when you're on the CW, apparently those are the least of your worries. Full season it is!

  • FRINGE: While it isn't quite the appointment TV I expected it would be, it's a fine DVR staple and I'm glad it's sticking around. It really has gotten much better since the pilot and I'm hopeful it will continue to improve. It's still no X-Files, but it makes for a decent Saturday afternoon show.

  • TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHONICLES: In a rather bold move for the Fox network, Terminator was given the back nine in spite of tumbling ratings. There are some new powers that be over at Fox and apparently they're trying to be less douche-baggy than past higher-ups. I don't actually watch this show, but it has River in it, so I'm pleased to hear that it's sticking around.

  • MAD MEN: I hear it's good, but I don't watch it. It has another Firefly alum, however, so good for you, show.

  • THE MENTALIST: As I've mentioned before on this blog, it's actually a fairly decent show. It's not in my top tier, but it's a decent DVR option. The real moral of the story? Just when you think 80% is the most procedural programming a network can have, CBS ups it to 85%. And all the gore-lovin' fiends out the there rejoice (Mom, I'm looking in your direction).

  • MY BOYS: It's fine, I suppose. And it'll be back in early 2009, I'm hearing, so yay, I guess.

  • FLASHPOINT: This came as quite a surprise, I must say. This show kind of came out of nowhere and did fairly well. I only watched the pilot because Keith Mars was in it, so I don't have too much of an opinion. I'm not sure the Keith Mars-iness can undo the Pink Ranger-iness of the show, so I'm ambivalent...

  • SONS OF ANARCHY: I have no opinion on this one. Um, yay for anarchy! Ammon would be so pleased... or something.

  • BURN NOTICE: Yay! The second half of the current season will air in the next few months (January, methinks) and the show has been greenlit for another season after that. I only added this show to my rotation this year, and have been quite pleased. You can watch the entire first season on Hulu, if you're interested.

  • PSYCH: Another USA network staple and a similar situation to Burn Notice (as far as airing goes). This is a fun show that doesn't require a whole lot of commitment, so I'm happy it'll be back.

  • GOSSIP GIRL: This isn't a new show and was never in any danger of cancellation, but I have information that doesn't fit into any of my categories. The CW has ordered 2 additional scripts for this season, so that brings the total up to 24. Yeehaw! Oh, and just a little teaser, there's a big death coming up that will really rattle the show. I'm so excited!

MORE EPISODES ORDERED, BUT NO FULL PICK-UP YET:

  • PRIVILEGED: Never seen it, but I hear it's actually pretty decent. I'd much rather it survive than 90210, but I'm not CW exec, so what do I know.
  • MEDIUM: Yep, it'll be back: the whininess, the erratic behavior, the annoying blond children, the annoying blond Patricia Arquette, and more!
  • ELI STONE: This is really seeming to be one of the few shows that didn't get completely clobbered by the strike. It didn't really turn into a favorite of mine, but everyone loves Johnny Lee Miller and Jack Bristow, so I have confidence it'll get a full pick-up soon enough.

ON THE BUBBLE/NO DECISION EITHER WAY:

  • LIFE: No official word yet on this one. I love this show and I would seriously hate to see it go. The ratings haven't been spectacular, but given its Friday night death slot, I think it's holding on rather admirably. NBC doesn't have a whole lot going for it (My Own Worst Enemy lost more than the usual share of viewers week-to-week), so I think this little gem will squeak through.

  • PUSHING DAISIES: There's definitely reason for concern, but I'm hopeful. After garnering a surprising 12 Emmy nominations after only 9 episodes had aired, I'm hopeful ABC will see this show as an investment. Plus, it's in a pretty crowded timeslot, so it's amazing it's held on as well as it has. Last week's ratings were up by 17 percent, I believe, so here's hoping that trend continues.

  • DIRTY SEXY MONEY: As with just about every other show cut short by the strike, DSM took a hit in the ratings department, but I think it's going to survive. I sure as hell hope so. I need Brian and Jeremy Darling in my life, plain and simple.

  • ELEVENTH HOUR: It's an okay show, and it's looking more and more like Marc Blucas won't actually be in it, so that's good. The ratings from the premiere to the second episode actually increased, so I'm wagering it'll get a full pick-up. Throw another procedural on the barbie...

  • KATH & KIM: If humanity knows what's good for it, this abomination will be yanked from the air as soon as possible. Wow. The ratings aren't horrible, but they're sliding. Here's hoping they keep sliding.
  • LIFE ON MARS: It's a pretty decent remake of a British show. It's a cop drama, and I'm not really in to cop dramas, however, so I'm not keeping up with this one. The ratings dipped from the premiere, but not catastrophically and the critics love it, so I think it'll survive.

DEAD AS A DEAD DEAD:

  • DO NOT DISTURB: It died. Now let's never talk of it again.

  • THE RICHES: This one was kind of a shame. I only caught a couple of episodes, but it seemed like a pretty good show, Minnie Driver's wandering accent notwithstanding...

  • OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS: I don't even know what this was. Reality something or other? Yeah, it won't be missed...

1 comment:

Annie said...

SOOO glad they're keeping The Mentalist. I love Simon Baker. Although I wish they'd use his hot Australian accent in the show...

If they cancel Pushing Daisies or Dirty Sexy Money, I will refuse to watch ABC from that point forthwith. Last night was just so happy with those two shows!

Also, I love that you used the phrase "dead as a dead dead." Hee hee!