Monday, August 30, 2010

I'm actually quite fond of Alex O'Loughlin...

Wowzers, I don't often get a lot of comments on this blog, but the Alex O'Loughlin fans really turned out for my last post! I think my comments may have been a bit misconstrued or maybe my definitions are a bit off...

I actually quite adore Alex O'Loughlin and can't believe I spelled his name wrong. (In my defense, I pulled the cast list off a show description on the web, and that's how they had spelled it. I should have questioned their spelling, but took it at face value rather than putting in the effort to look it up for sure.) I was a late-comer to Moonlight, but really enjoyed it once I got started. I was completely bummed that it got canceled and kept hoping Alex would find a steady gig that was truly deserving of his talents. His many talents.. which were not showcased on the awful beyond awful Three Rivers. I couldn't agree more that it wasn't his fault that the show was terrible or that it got canceled. Indeed, he was the only redeeming quality. When that show premiered, I lamented the fact that Alex had found himself in such a poor role and was glad it got canceled because that would mean he could move onto better projects.

In terms of him being a "showkiller," based on reader response, I think my definition of the term must be a bit off (or simply not as hyperbolic as it really is). As I understand it, the status of "showkiller" has very little, if anything, to do with the talents or appeal of the person in question. Nathan Fillion, one of my absolute favorite people in world, is totally a showkiller. In my mind, it's simply someone who finds him/herself in projects that get canceled quickly (whether justifiably or not). One definition I found online reads, "A show killer is basically someone who bounces from television show to television show because each one gets canceled." And indeed, this website lists the actors it considers the top 8 showkillers, Alex O'Loughlin among them. Many of the actors on the list are superb and are people who bring a tremendous amount to the table. In my mind, I've never chalked showkiller status up to the relative abilities of the actors with said dubious distinction, but rather to unfortunate writing, poor circumstances, or, as is so often the case, some completely undefinable element that gets a show canceled too soon. In looking around further on the web though, there's certainly room for interpretation of the definition (everyone seems to have his/her own take), so I can see where my post provoked some ire.

Indeed, in seeing that my feelings about Mr. O'Loughlin were delivered with verbal butterfingers in my last post, I was pretty dismayed as well. He has a dedicated legion of fans, myself among them. I'm really hopeful that Hawaii Five-0 is as solid as it seems and that our fine friend Alex has finally found himself in a show that won't get killed. Honestly, if CBS just wants to put an Alex O'Loughlin screensaver with rotating pictures on the screen, I'd be fine with that. :)

I think I sense a spin-off in the works... The awesomest spin-off of all time...

2 comments:

Lisa R. said...

Well said Lac. Jeez, you'd think someone who writes a comment on a blog like some sort of a network press rep would know a basic TV term like "showkiller". Alex O'L is pretty much my favorite TV actor out there right now, but yes, he's a showkiller (R.I.P. "Moonlight" and good riddance "Three Rivers".). I'm pinning all my hopes and dreams for this fall's line-up on H5O - if for no other reason than to get my shirtless Alex fix (my "Moonlight" DVD's are getting worn out).

Anonymous said...

I am quite fond of Alex too, and have seen many of his films after discovering him on Moonlight.
The problem that many fans have with the term Show Killer being used to describe their favorite actor has more to do with how it is used. It isn't the true definition or what the term meant originally, but the fact that most often the phrase is tossed about by some sarcastic person who is accusing an actor for being at fault for show cancellations.
Lots of reasons why a show might fail, but blaming an actor for things beyond their control seems lame.
Anyway, I think Hawaii Five 0 is going to appeal to many, and should introduce Alex to a broader fan base.