Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Thinning the Herd

I don't know if you've met most shows, but the vast majority of them suck. As such, while I watch nearly every pilot that comes out (whether I mention it on this blog or not), only a few make it into my regular rotation. It's not often that I'll either pick up or completely discredit a show based entirely on the pilot, so I usually give those with even a modicum of potential a couple of episodes to really grab me. Don't get me wrong, when it comes to bags of crap like The Beautiful Life, The Deep End, or The Forgotten, I only need about ten minutes of the pilot to decide it falls into "Show Fail" territory and never look back, but most shows have a least a glimmer of hope.

In looking at the new shows for this summer, a few shows managed to make it onto my schedule, but the majority fell by the wayside pretty quickly. ABC, NBC, and Fox tried their hands at summer programming, but by and large, they failed pretty spectacularly. It's cute that the big four thought they could really challenge the cable networks... Sad, but cute.

With a schedule as jam-packed as mine is, I can't really afford to keep shows that don't have me truly interested on some level. Don't get me wrong, the three tiered system is still in place, but it's become so overflowing that I've found I have to cut my losses quicker and quicker. Back in the day, I was able to give shows more time to impress me, but with my DVR prioritizer bursting at the seams (literally, it can only hold 50 shows, and I've had to break up with old ones in order to make way for new ones), I just can't do it anymore. Sometimes you just have to thin the herd...

Here are the sickly little gazelles that didn't survive:
  • The Gates
    I actually enjoyed the first couple of episodes of The Gates well enough (it seemed like a nice, thoughtless summer guilty pleasure), but it just didn't keep my attention. That, coupled with the dismal ratings and I knew it wasn't worth dedicating myself to a lost cause. Also, confoundingly, for a show about vampires, witches, werewolves, and whatever else, it was surprisingly slow.

  • Scoundrels
    This crap-fest didn't stand a chance. I barely made it through the pilot alive. I realize summer isn't really your key season here, but if you're going to make a foray into this kind of scheduling, at least make it bearable...

  • The Good Guys
    This one's a heart-breaker. I wanted to like it, I really really did, but alas, I just plain didn't. I thought my allegiance to Matt Nix knew no bounds, but apparently I was wrong. It knows some bounds all right... bounds called The Good Guys.

  • Memphis Beat
    This show actually had a fairly solid pilot, and while I can appreciate that it's well-made and certainly has its charm, at the end of the day, it's your standard cop procedural and I lost interest after only a few episodes. The dynamics of the show just didn't really gel for me and after only the second episode, I felt like it was a chore to watch and gave up.

  • Rizzoli & Isles
    Again, it's not a bad show really (which isn't to say it's a good show either), but if you've seen one cop procedural, you've seen 'em all, and this show did very little to reinvent the wheel. I found the relationship between R and I boring, uninspired, and generic. Add to that Donnie Wahlberg as a love interest and I officially reached my limit (and tested my gag reflex to the breaking point. Think unsexy thoughts... Think unsexy thoughts... Oooh, that's unsexy...).

  • Pretty Little Liars
    On a purely trivial level, I wish I had stuck with this one. From what I hear, it's the perfect summertime soap opera. I caught the first few episodes, and while I could appreciate the shallowness and intrigue, I ultimately found that I needed more substance. I just plain didn't care what crazy things were happening because I didn't care about any of the characters. I'm not saying it needed to be a deep, cerebral tour de force or anything, but a dollop of substance would have gone a hell of a long way.

  • Huge
    Ugh. I only made it through the pilot. I found it completely charmless and dour from beginning to end. They had a real opportunity here to present an uncommon television demographic here, but all the characters were fairly unlikeable. I toyed with the idea of giving it a few more episodes to draw me in, but ultimately decided it wasn't worth it.
Here are the shows of hardier stock that have made it into my regular rotation for various reasons (some more justifiable than others):
  • Covert Affairs
    As per usual with USA network, it only took a few episodes for this show to find its feet and really suck me in. Truth be told, every episode since the pilot has been better than the pilot. Much better. From the pilot alone, I had feared the show would be too light and fluffy to really have any gravity or suspense, but it's actually pretty well grounded. Like other shows on this network, it has a pretty nice balance and light and heavy. The show is still a bit rough around the edges, and at times doesn't quite seem to know what to do with some of its characters, but it has found a good groove and has plenty of room to grow and improve. Piper Perabo has been much more engaging and likable than I ever would have expected. There are still certain aspects of her character (and acting) that I would change, but by and large, she's grown on me rather quickly. Her partner in crime (and I suspect, soon to be partner in the sheets) Auggie is an absolute delight. From the pilot, I was apprehensive that the show wouldn't have the dramatic chops to really explore his character, but fortunately, they've settled into a narrative tone that allows for just about anything. The most recent episode helped illuminate some of Auggie's psychological turmoil and I loved it. The more Auggie, the better. I've always loved Christopher Gorham and I'm thrilled he's found such a plum role. His chemistry with Perabo is a big part of why this show is working for me. You can tell that they really seem to enjoy one another and I suspect they get along famously in real life. It shows onscreen. They clearly form the foundation of the show, and more and more it's seeming like they're the only characters. While I appreciate a show that doesn't feel the need to use actors in every episode (if there's no reason for them to be there, leave them out), I get the impression the writers just don't really know what to do with Anne Dudek and Mohinder. Hopefully they'll either cut the dead weight or better yet, find something important and interesting for them to do. As is, Mohinder is largely absent (and nigh-unrecognizable), and Dudek is wasted on a thankless role. All in all, however, I find that I'm really enjoying this one and am actively excited for it week-to-week.

  • Boston Med
    The best little show that no one is watching... but me. I realize this is more up my alley than most, so it comes as little surprise that it hasn't exactly been a ratings juggernaut (although I hear it's been improving). I'm a sucker for documentaries and medical shows, so this one really appeals to me. It would never be appointment TV or anything, but it makes for a nice alternate.

  • Rookie Blue
    On the more embarrassing end of the spectrum, we have Rookie Blue. It's unabashedly Grey's Anatomy with cops, but you know what? I quite enjoyed Grey's Anatomy at first, so it stands to reason that Rookie Blue would hold some appeal. It's predictable and generic and fairly cheesy, but ultimately pretty harmless. It's not the kind of show I would miss if it disappeared, but for what it is, it's enjoyable enough. It makes for a nice summer distraction, if nothing else. Although, while I salute Ephram for trying to break out of the Everwood mold, I can't say I like his new character much at all and I spend the better part of each episode wishing he'd start playing the piano or pining for Amy. On an unrelated note, I knew this was a Canadian production, but didn't truly grasp the depth of its Canadianness until I hear a "Soory" slip by. Excellent. :)

  • Rubicon
    In all honesty, I've only seen the pilot, but it was intriguing enough that I'm ready for more. This is a cerebral conspiracy thriller (well, maybe not "thriller" per se... the pacing of the show leaves a bit to be desired) that is extremely well-made and doesn't assume the viewing audience is as dumb as a post. It's a nice change of pace when a show presupposes that viewers will understand what they're trying to do and that they don't need to be spoon fed. That said, it still needs to find its feet. The pilot was a bit uneven for me, but I think they've set up a situation that could be exhilarating. As mentioned, the pacing is really the only aspect of the show that might become an issue. I'm not saying it needs to have one mindless car chase after another or anything, but a little suspense would have done wonders for it. As is, I just didn't get that nail-biting sense of simmering dread that you'd expect from this kind of a conceit. Again, we've only just begun, so here's hoping it figures out exactly what it wants to be and knocks it out of the park.

  • The Glades
    Okay, I'm as shocked as you are on this one. It's basically your standard crime procedural, but for some reason, I keep coming back week-to-week. The lead actor carries the show and he's just charming enough that I want to see more. When I first heard about the show, I had no intention of keeping it. Maybe it's that it airs in an uncrowded timeslot... Whatever the reason, I'm actually quite enjoying this one. It kind of has a House vibe to it, but with a more playful, boyish, carefree bent. If you're in the market for a new crime procedural to add to your slate, I'd recommend you check this one out. Otherwise, I could take it or leave it. I wouldn't be too upset to see it canceled, but I enjoy having it around.
Anyway, for good or ill, this has been the most crowded summer viewing schedule I've ever faced. I usually spend the summer tapping into serieseses that I've been meaning to see, but either never watched, or missed the first few seasons of when they actually aired. At present, I've been watching The Wire, Criminal Minds, Rescue Me, Weeds, and Lost, but haven't really had time to polish them off. I'm mired in the middle of each at this point. Sigh. I kind of miss having the summers off. It's also the reason I haven't had a chance to post previews of the other pilots airing this fall. I soldiered through all 817 of NBCs new shows and simply didn't have the time or energy to attack the other networks. Maybe someday...

1 comment:

Steph Liechty said...

I have found summer TV! I've enjoyed it for the most part. I agree with Covert Affairs- took me about 3 weeks to permanently add it to my DVR que, but it's on there now. Boston Med- LOVE! Sad it's over already. Rookie Blue- I know I shouldn't like this show, but I do. The Glades- The lead is a hottie, with a tempting jackass meets caring personality. It's nice to have a crime procedural that doesn't take itself so dang seriously!

I keep giving R&I "one more chance" but it does seem like 'work' to get through the episode. I just really like Angie Harmon.

Huge- such a great idea and yet...

Admittedly, I also like Wipeout. I feel kinda rude for laughing at the people, but they chose to go on national television.