Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Casting Call

So, since Stephanie Meyer didn't give us readers a whole lot to work with as far as Bella's appearance is concerned in Twilight, I spent the better part of the novel trying to pick an actress to fill the role (well, at least an actress whose looks I could borrow). The actress chosen for the movie just isn't doing it for me... Henceforth, Ann and I have discussed this to an embarrassing degree and have narrowed the field to the following contenders. (Please bear in mind that ALL these girls are far too attractive to really fit with Meyer's description, but really, who wants to watch an ugly waif in their head as they're reading? I kept making her a lot smarter, funnier, and prettier in my head just to make Edward's adoration seem a bit more plausible... Speaking of whom, I think Cedric Diggory is perfect for the role, so there's nothing to complain about there. Oh, so pretty...)

Anyway, on with the show!

Here is our top contender:

Sarah Drew (of Everwood fame): I have a hard time separating her from the character she played on Everwood, but lookswise, she's the closes to what I had in mind while reading.


A close second in my book would have to be Emmy Rossum. She's much too pretty and elegant for the role, but who wants to have Hortence, the Mule-faced Girl in her head as she reads? Not me.


The rest of these are definitely contenders, but not quite right.

Ginnifer Goodwin
She's not quite waifish enough for the role, but she has a good look.


Alexis Bledel
Oh, Rory. I can't separater Alexis Bledel from Gilmore Girls, I just can't... She'll always be Rory. But, she really does look the part as far as I'm concerned. Aside from being way too pretty...


And, and honorable mention goes to Mischa Barton. Miss Marissa Cooper would be just whiny and pathetic enough to fill the role... No, I still can't quite see it, but she's pretty close. Oh, and speaking of the O.C., Rachel Bilson was on the short list, but we decided she's too pretty and isn't nearly pale enough.

5 comments:

Anna said...

I thought Cedric Diggory was the for-sure pick. Oh, and for Bella, I heard it was Kristen Stewart. Which does fulfill the awkward and not-so-attractive sides of Bella.

Laceski said...

Oh, yeah, the movie has totally already been filmed with Kristen and Cedric in the lead roles. I'm totally happy with Cedric, but Kristen just didn't seem quite right to me. She really does fit the description pretty well, but she just isn't what I picutred.

Annie said...

All of these options are significantly better than the odd girl from the Orem Wal-Mart. I approve. :)

Ann said...

To further embarrass myself, I am still looking for that perfect fit for Bella. We are close, but I keep looking, just in case.

Ann said...

Side note on a totally unrelated matter:

Look at the comments on this post - anna said, annie said, ann said...

It is hilarious.