Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Self-Preservational Instincts...

When I started the Twilight series (I refuse to call it a "saga" no matter how important or profound Stephenie Meyer seems to think she is (oh, and it was pointed out to me the other day that I've been spelling her first name wrong, and confoundingly, spelling it correctly, all at once)), I was in no way certain I would actually finish it. From what I'm hearing, Breaking Dawn has unleashed an unendurable level of craptacularity on an unsuspecting public, and as such, I have opted not to read it.

After hearing the vague gist of where the novel leads, I have no interest in finishing the series. Everyone I know who has read it (or even those who are still in the middle of it) are completely pissed and have nothing but horrible things to say about it (and these were people who fully enjoyed the previous novels). I wasn't impressed with the first three, so I can only imagine how god-awful this final volume would be for me. Wow.

Henceforth, and amid several requests that I proceed otherwise, I will not be reading or reviewing Breaking Dawn. I just don't think I could stand it. Although, given my commitment to kicking the bucket before I'm 30, this sucktastic tome might just be what I need to finish myself off... I'll keep that in mind for the week prior to my 30th birthday (you know, in case my "get hit by a bus" plan doesn't pan out). It's always good to have a contingency plan. Although I can think of few means of death that would be more drawn out or painful... I'll just go ahead and put "reading Breaking Dawn" on my top ten list of death methods right between #4: Eaten alive by fire ants, and what will now be #6: Being impaled on a parking meter. I think that's exactly where it will fit...

Anyway, if you're still unsure about starting the novel, I'm going to advise you against it. From what I hear, it's not only gagtastic in and of itself, but it totally ruins the rest of the series retroactively. Hmmm... I'd rather not.

7 comments:

chucho said...

i have a blog! it will be cooler tomorrow, cause i just wrote another post but it's not loading.
xoxo, gossip girl
ps: the book you let me borrow sucks balls

Brandon said...

Wow. I was never tempted to find out any more about the series until now. It's like I want to know how truly crappy it can be so I can have a good chuckle. (Of course I won't read it - I'll just look up what other people have to say.)

chucho said...

yeah, ammon knows how dorky i am. i told him i was starting a blog and he made a "why?!" face at me...you just give me a little while and my blog will kick some major ass.

Me said...

So since i'm definitely not going to buy these books because I haven't been interested in reading them again until reading your reviews on them, I actually put off the whole new book thing until a few weeks ago and am like 486 on the waiting list at the library for it. So, I think when it comes in five years, I may try it. It is truly a choice we must all look deep within and make ourselves... I think with how riled up the first 3 made you it's probably best you don't read the last one... :) But I would have loved to have read what you had to say about it!

On another note, I keep forgetting to ask if you were serious about us borrowing seasons 2 and 3 of House??? We loved the first season (and Nate had his reservations about a "medical drama" little did he know he'd laugh so hard) so if you'll be at Bree's I might hassle you for them???

chucho said...

lacey, ammon told me about that thing that you know, about the thing? that one thing. yeah. im all for it. just so you know.
let's please see each other soon, im having L&L withdrawls. (the other L stands for your mom, btw)
LACEY! i can't believe Tara is pregnant. she is gonna be the coolest mom ever, I can't wait to see her all pissed off when she gets sick of being pregnant! i love that girl.

TomKat said...

So I have to tell you that I got to the part in New Moon on pg 52...it reminded me of you and I laughed. That was a stupid story, but there ya go!

chucho said...

post something new!